Check out our Nature Backpacks!
Starting Monday, May 16, you can check out a Nature Backpack for two weeks from any of our branch libraries (One (1) per family, please.). Each backpack contains information and materials to make a trip to one of Virginia's 36 state parks a fun learning experience for the entire family.
"Today, children spend less time outdoors and even less immersed in nature-based activities," said Virginia State Parks Director Craig Seaver. "These backpacks will provide opportunities for families to venture out to a park."
Each Backpack contains the following:
- Parking Pass for free parking/entrance to all Virginia State Parks
- Pocket Naturalist Bugs and Slugs Guide
- Pocket Naturalist Animal Tracks Guide
- Pocket Naturalist Virginia Birds Guide
- Pocket Naturalist Mammals Guide
- Pocket Naturalist Virginia Trees & Wildflowers Guide
- Port-A-Bug Field Observation Container
- Big Foot Leave No Trace Ethics Card
- Magnifying Lens
- Dip Net
Once you check out your Backpack, you can plan your trip. Here are some ideas to help you get started.
- Find a Virginia State Park near you.
- Search by what you want to do at the park.
- Find a guided or self-guided program or special event.
- Find out about geocaching.
- Rent a campsite or cabin by calling 800-933-7275.
Nature Backpacks are made possble through a partnership with -
If you have any questions about our Nature Backpacks, please see a staff member or email email@example.com.